Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Cousin to Cousin...

we'll always be special friends from the same family tree"

That lame-o saying was on a pillow that my cousins gave me (as a joke) for Christmas when I was in college. I have this extremely extra-ordinary relationship with my cousins, especially my cousin Alison and Nicholas. Growing up as an only child, my cousins were the closest things to a brother/sister relationship that I had. Now as adults, we talk on a regular basis, occasionally fight like siblings and I spend probably 2 afternoons/nights a week at Alison's.

Both of them had a very similar relationship with Mary that I had, spending nights over her house and getting special treats that weren't allowed by their mother!  I will always remember the months after Mary's passing that I spent with my cousins reflecting on her life and eating apple pie and Entenmanns pastry on her birthday.

Now, one of the cousins (Nicholas) is getting married!
Lindsay and Nicholas (aka Diddy)

Tomorrow is Linsday's bridal shower, so I am baking up a storm . In order to make sure that Mary is "present" at the shower and well represented, I decided to make her Dubes:


Dubes (aka Peach Blossoms aka Peanut Blossoms)
(written on a fruit adorned recipe card)

1/2 cup shortening, softenened
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 3/4 cup flour
chocolate kisses

Combine all ingredients except kisses in a large bowl. Mix at lowest speed until dough forms. Shape dough into balls using a tsp for each ball. Roll in sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Top each cookie immediately with a chocolate kiss. Allow to cool completely.

In addition to the Dubes, I made Nutella Cookies....

 (Nutella cookies on left and Dubes on right)



 Whiskey Apple Pie (for Matt's football game tomorrow)...


and Pumpkin Spice Bars (no picture).


all done in very styling baking attire....a beautiful new apron from my mom! 

3 comments:

  1. The Dubes have always been my favorite. Save some for me Rachel!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dubes were very good. Dad also like the pumpkin bread. He ate two pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the special bridal shower post Rachel! We loved all the treats you made :)

    ReplyDelete