Monday, October 4, 2010

Baking and wine are like Yoga for the mind

Today was the first really cold and rainy day this fall. After work, I skipped the gym and came home to turn on the heat, poor a glass of wine, and bake some cookies. As I was baking, I was thinking about how this project goes against the grain of what  America is trying to do...eat healthier! Baking all of these delicious treats (and drinking the liquor) goes against my own ongoing attempt at a healthy life style. But you know? Today was Monday, the kids couldn't have recess to get out all of their energy and wine was necessary...as were the baked goods! Baking and wine are like Yoga for the mind. Mary would have done the same!

I wanted to whip up a quick cookie recipe that I could make before Matt jetted off to the football game and that I could finish before having to do more school work. I found Mary's recipe for Oatmeal Cookies...another round of Guess how we make that recipe!




As you can see from the recipe there is no explanation on what to mix what what first. That's fine, I can deal with that. But hey...What temperature? How long should they be baked for? Do you want them on a greased or ungreased cookie sheet? 

I played around with a few trays I think I got it:

Oatmeal Cookies
(written on recipe card with an Italian motif)

1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening, softened
2 eggs beaten
4 tbsp milk
1tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 cups oats
1 cup raisins

combine sugar, butter, eggs, and milk. Add dry ingredients. Drop cookies by teaspoonful on GREASED cookie sheet. Dip knife in cold water and spread each cookie out (I didn't do this...I just stuck with the "Drop" explanation in the title). Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees


No comments:

Post a Comment