Friday, October 1, 2010

And the ingredients are???

Despite the 80 degree weather yesterday, fall is in the air. The start of fall marks the start of some of Mary's best bread and cookie recipes! Since beginning this endeavor, I have been waiting to make her Pumpkin Bread!
I was faced with a bit of a challenge when trying to bake this recipe. Mary had nice handwriting, but many of her abbreviated words are difficult to read. Nothing, however, compared to this recipe which had originally been written by Mary and then re-written by my mother....with the ingredients either missing or repeated.

exhibit A:

As you can see, baking soda is written 3 times and apparently you are supposed to add 2 cups of ????
After some research, I think I came up with the correct proportions:

1 cup pumpkin
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder

Mix eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin. Add the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients. Bake for  1 hour at 350 degrees. 
The amount of mixture seemed to be too much for one pan, so I divided it into 2 loaves.

Despite having to guess on this recipe, it ended up being very tasty. I cooked the loaves for @ 40-50 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment