Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow day...again?!

     This winter is really starting to bug me. Another snow day today which means another snow day tacked on to the end of the year...and it is only January!

     The only positive from this storm is the mark it will leave on the ski mountains! After the snow stops, I am heading off to a girls' ski weekend! YIPEE!
     For the event, I baked up a batch of Dipped Shortbread Logs. I don't remember this recipe, but my cousin Alison was asking if I had it so Mary made them at some point in time. I think that by the time I was old enough to participate in baking with Mary she had her set repertoire of cookies and breads (Chocolate Chip, Hermits, Shredded Wheat Bread, etc etc). I have heard that she was more of an "experimental" baker and cook before my time.


Dipped Shortbread Logs
(written on a chicken, yes chicken, recipe card...This isn't her recipe because once again, the handwriting is far to nice!)

2 cups flour
1 cup butter or oleo, softened
1/2 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Combine flour, butter, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl. Mix until thoroughly blended (will be crumbly). Shape into 2 inch logs. Bake @ 350 for 10 minutes. Cool Completely

Melt 6oz of chocolate bits and 1 tbsp solid white shortening. Add more, if needed to make dipping consistent. Roll in chopped nuts (I did not do this). Makes about 60.


I am not a fan of shortbread, but these were really good. Perhaps it was the 2 sticks of butter that turned the corner for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment