Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Not my forte

Snow Day=Baking
I started the morning by baking up one of Mary's bread recipes, but it was another failure. I am blaming it on the yeast this time. I bought it refrigerated, but kept it in the pantry, so I am thinking that I should have kept it cold. I am not even going to post the recipe until I try it again! 

Once my rocks came out of the oven, I changed my game plan and baked up some bars... I think cookies are more my forte.

This recipe was obviously not Mary's because the writing on it was way to nice to be hers, but I do remember her making these.

Congo bars
(written on plain lined recipe card)

3/4 shortening
1 package brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cup flour, sifted
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts, optional
Melt the shortning and add to brown sugar. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add eggs to brown sugar mixture, followed by vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and combine. Add in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Place in greased 13X9 pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool complete before cutting into thin bars.



These were very chewy and chocolaty! I don't like nuts in my cookies, so I substituted coconut! YUM!


1 comment: