Saturday, January 8, 2011

Back to reality...

There wasn't anytime for baking last weekend as the entire family was attending my cousin Nicholas' New Year's Eve wedding. The entire Wilson clan packed up and traveled up to Brunswick to celebrate the event. Here are some pics from the weekend:


 The bride and groom!


 Typical family...getting into trouble

All of the Cousins

Henry, the ring bearer

Congrats again, Nick & Lindsay

Now vacation is over and it is back to reality :( 
This weekend is filled with progress notes, lesson planning, and report writing so there isn't too much time to bake. When I browsed the recipes this morning, I was looking for something quick and easy...Brownies.

Brownies - Very Best Recipe
(written on white recipe card in green ink)

2 squares chocolate
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beathen
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts

Melt chocolate and shortening together. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs. Sift flour and salt together. Add to chocolate mixture. Add vanilla and nuts and mix well. Pour into greased 8in pan and baked for 35 minutes at 325.  Cut when cool
 
I had a semi-fail with this recipe. I had never made brownies this way. I have always used cocoa powder, so I was a little nervous when preparing and baking them:
  • I didn't add nuts. I am not a fan of nuts in dessert. 
  • I only baked them for 30 minutes because some of the past recipes have cooked for less time and they were very fudgy
  • Also, they weren't very chocolaty.
My husband, who will eat anything, ate an entire row stating, "They taste fat free. Maybe Mary liked them that way."

So, when making these again, I would add more chocolate (perhaps another ounce) and definitely cook them for 35 minutes. If any of the family can remember Mary making these, perhaps you can comment about what could have been tweaked...

No comments:

Post a Comment