Friday, November 5, 2010

The infamous mint pie

Tonight we celebrated my mom's birthday (Happy belated birthday mom)

  (My dad, mom, and I circa @ 1984)

 (My mom is a certified ski instructor for Maine Handicapped Skiing)

(my mom and her "irish twin" brother, Rick)


We had a lovely evening with drinks, dinner, and Mary's Chocolate Mint Pie. Now this isn't just any ordinary pie! This is a pie that comes with quite a history.

On Sunday nights Mary used to have family dinners at her house. My grandparents, aunts, and uncles would gather for drinks, dinner, and dessert before making the long 1 minute trek back to their house. On one occasion, my aunt made her chocolate mint pie and dished a piece out to everyone. My mother, being the acclaimed "wild child" was unhappy with the size that she received. Rather than asking for more, she threw the pie across the table and "ran away" to Salem Willows Park (a 3 minute walk from their house) where she bought a thing of fries and ate them on the pier.

I found it only fitting that I make this pie to celebrate my mother's birthday!

Chocolate Mint Pie
 (written on an recipe card adorned with an italian motif)

Baked 9" pie shell
2 cups milk
1 envelope unflavored gelatine
1/4 cup cold water
1/3 cup sugar
4 egg yolks slightly beaten
3/4 cup chocolate bits
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp peppermint
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup chocolate bits
1 tsp cornstarch
4 egg whites

1. Scald the milk (I had to google how to do this...basically you want to cook it until it is almost boiling)
2. sprinkle gelatin on water to soften
3. Combine 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir into egg wolk then slowly stir in some of the scalded milk. Return to the stove, cook stirring 8-10 minutes or until mixture coats a metal spoon and is slighltly thickened.
4. Into 1 cup of this custard mixture, stir in 3/4 cup chocolate bits until melted and set aside.
5. With remaining custard blend softened gelatin with vanilla and peppermint extract. Refrigerate until it mounds slightly.
6. Beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks are formed. Gradually add 1/3 cups sugar beating constantly. Fold into gelatin mixture.
7. Pour chocolate mixture into the pie shell. Pour gelatin mixture on top of chocolate mixture. Arrange 1/4 cup chocolate bits to resemble polka dots.
8. Refrigerate until firm.
 


 I have heard many stories about this pie, but I had never eaten it! It was very good! Choice beverages tonight were Bordeaux, Sauvignon Blanc, Oktoberfest, and Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka on Ice!

2 comments:

  1. The pie was awesome...just like I remember.....
    wished I could have eaten a bigger piece this time around!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this pie. I remember fondly the day my dear sister threw it against the wall at Mary's!!

    ReplyDelete