Thursday, November 11, 2010

"I know what boys like, I know what guys want, I know what boys like...

boys like, boys like...baked goods"

This weekend Matt and my cousin Mark are venturing up to the lovely state of Maine for my cousin Nicholas' bachelor party...a weekend full of video games, beer, and burping aka Dork Fest. I will be spending the weekend babysitting Henry and Gus..a weekend full of coloring, milk, and burping. Huh, come to think of it there isn't much of a difference between a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings from a 1 and 5 year old!

 
 (Rachel & Nick aka Cheech & Diddy 1983)

For Dork Fest, I decided to bake up a batch of Mary's Molasses Crinkles. This is one of those recipes that I remember making with Mary MANY times. Around this time of the year, she frequently baked these for the family and holidays. My 12 year old cousin Jack will actually be baking these up for Thanksgiving this year. The tradition continues and that would make Mary very happy! If you only make one recipe from this entire blog, make these...

Molasses Crinkles:
(written on index card/recipes card)

3/4 cup soft shortening (I use margarine)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp clove
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
granulated ginger

Mix shortening, brown sugar, eggs, and molasses. Sift dry ingredients and blend into wet mixture. Chill for about 1 hour or more. 
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/4" (it really says the exact measurement! You can change it up a little). Dip top of ball into sugar. Place balls sugar side up 2" apart on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 2 drops of water. Bake 11-12 minutes or just until set.
Makes 4 dozen (probably really 2 dozen...remember that these are Mary measurements).   

Now, the first batch came out crinkly, but very round. I remember the cookie being flatter:

The second batch I smooshed down, but they didn't crinkle:

The last batch I smooshed down just a little and they came out perfect:

No comments:

Post a Comment