Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Survival of the fittest...or drunkest?

     Happy hump day! Half way there folks. This week marks the first full week of school and it has already been quite eventful. You would have sworn there was a full moon by the way that our days have been unfolding. The students that I work with have various communication needs so the way they express their sadness, pain, or dissatisfaction ranges from screaming to hitting, biting, and kicking. This makes the first few days back at school VERY interesting. In the end, all you can do is make it through the day, attempt to figure out what they are trying to tell you, praise the good behavior and ignore the bad....and drink (after school of course)!

     There is no secret in the fact that teachers, support staff, or anyone else that works with children like their liquor. Apparently, my love affair with the bottle is no secret. Today, both the school nurse and the administrative assistant informed me that they were buying my staff and I the biggest bottles of wine they could find (Love you Carol & Besty). Hey, you know what? Everyone has a different way of relaxing. I wish mine was exercising or something that dwindled the size of my ass, but alas it is adult beverages and baking! Just like Mary!

So tonight consisted of my one of my two de-stressers: Drinking and Baking (a warning: do not do simultaenously or you will have similar results as I did).

Oatmeal Scotchies
(cut out recipe taped on recipe card with exotic fruit and vegetable motif)
1 cup margarine or butter softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 packages (2 cups) Butterscotch Morsels
Heat oven to 375. Beat margarine, sugars, eggs and vanilla until creamy. Gradually add combined flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop by level measuring tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes for a chewy cookie, 9-10 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Makes 4 dozen.

These cookies are delicious, however, I attempted to multitask (drink, bake, and do work for school) and didn't hear the timer go off resulting in this:
Better luck with the next couple of batches...once I set aside the school work
The cookies were hot out of the oven just in time for my husband to walk in the door and ask if they were for his work party tomorrow?! He needs to bring a dessert. All I can do is attempt to figure out what he is trying to tell me, praise the good behavior and ignore the bad :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that it is the fact that you work in a school that you are drawn to adult beverages; rather it is the inescapable genes that you have inherited from your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete