Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blue 42 Chocolate Cream Pie HUT

Fall has to be one of my favorite time of year (well, second after summer). With the season comes various autumnal activities, the taste of pumpkin and apple, and beautiful colors. Mary was born in the fall. Both of my best friends were married in the fall...


 ...so it is a very joyous time. The sounds of fall are....well the sounds of fall in my house are half time shows, crowds roaring, and coaches yelling. Yes, fall marks the beginning of football season.  I face this time of year with mixed emotions. Matt is a HUGE football fan. We have every NFL station/package/whatever they make so there is a football game on practically every night! However, this is a small price to pay for Sundays (ahhhhh...skies open...heaven shines down). From 12pm-6pm or 3pm-10pm (depending on game time) every Sunday, I get the house to myself! During this time, I can watch the game in peace while Matt gathers with his football buddies to drink beer, eat food that will clog his arteries, and consume any baked goods that I send with him...it is really a win win situation.

For tomorrows game, I am making a pie. Its somewhat fancy for football, but I was told that the first Pats game is where they "do it up".

Chocolate Cream Pie
(written on a recipe card with an Italian motif)

Baked Pastry Shell
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
2 2/3cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1tsp vanilla

Melt chocolate. Stir in 1 cup sugar and flour. Add milk gradually, stir, and cook until thick (@ 5 minutes). Pour a little of the mix into eggs while beating ( to avoid cooking the yolks). Stir yolks back into mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Add salt, butter, and vanilla. Remove from heat and chill.
Pour chilled mixture into pie shell. Top with meringue made from egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar. Bake @ 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture because the pie went out the door before I could get out my camera :(

1 comment:

  1. Bummer... I would've liked to see how the pie turned out.

    ReplyDelete