Sunday, April 24, 2011

So how much butter is in this cake?

Happy Easter to all. We had a DELICIOUS meal today...tons of food as always...and great company. For Easter, I attempted to make Mary's Hot Cross Buns, but once again (I had attempted them a few years back), they came out like hockey pucks. I don't know if it is the recipe or something I am doing. I was reminded by my cousin Alison that Mary's Hot Cross Buns were always a little hard, but something is definitely not right. I was able to cover this mistake by preparing another non Mary recipe. I promise I will post some of her recipes soon. For dessert, I made Paula Deen's Coconut Lime Cake - A light sorbet as we say in our family...which usually means a recipe has a sh** load of butter, fat, or other unhealthy substitute.


Coconut-Lime Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch, 3 layer) cake

11/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups Domino Granulated Sugar
5 Large Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
31/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups coconut milk
1 cup buttermilk
Luscious Lime Frosting (recipe follows)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
2.  In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy.  Add egg yolks and extracts,beating until combined.
3.  In a medium bowl, combine flour,baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4.  In a small bowl, combine coconut milk and buttermilk.  Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with coconut milk mixture, beginningand ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
5.  In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold intobatter.  Spoon batter into prepared pans, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
6.  Spread Luscious Lime Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.   Press coconut flakes around edge of cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries and lime slices; if desired. Chill until ready to serve.

Luscious Lime Frosting
Makes about 5 Cups

1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
5 cups Domino Confectioners' Sugar
1 (8 ounce) container frozen
whipped topping, thawed

1.  In a large bowl, beat butter, lime zest, and lime juice at medium speedwith a mixer until combined.  Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.  Add whipped topping, beating
until combined.



 My aunt Carol gave me an "Easter" gift today - The Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook that Mary gave her 40 years ago! My mother made a comment of how it looks like new. Carol's response was "Well I don't cook so I never really opened it." This will definitely get used now!

1 comment: